Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Patsy's Semi Homemade Dressing


I have always been envious of my sister’s ability to make dressing like my Aunt Grace. It was one of those “dishes” I was afraid to tackle. To tell the truth I was more terrified at failing at cooking something more than anything. I have a fairly good reputation as a cook so a lot was on the line. At Church dinner on the grounds, people hunt down my pots. Needless to say, I have heavy pressure to deliver only good, excuse me, great tasting food to my hunger crowd.

During lunch one day, I was discussing the fact that I needed a recipe for dressing. When my crazy friend Patsy exclaimed that she had the perfect and easiest recipe. Patsy is a fairly good cook, to be honest-- I have never tasted anything, Patsy has made and thought man that was gross. Instead I have sought out her recipes. So I trusted that she might just be my ticket to develop a tasty dish of dressing.


Now keep in mind that I am the kind of person that anytime dressing is served I gorge out. However, I am not a fan of just anybody’s dressing. Some pot stirrers like to put a little too much strong seasoning and extra things that don’t belong in the dressing pot like apples, sausage and even worse celery….yuck. Back to Patsy, So she started rattling off her recipe. I thought to myself—“Hey I think I can make Patsy’s Dressing”. I changed the recipe slightly to make it like Aunt Grace’s. I am pretty impressed with my dressing- if I must say. So here’s a copy of Patsy’ Semi Homemade Dressing with my additions.


Patsy’s Dressing

3 chicken breasts
1 bag of Pepperidge Cornbread Dressing (yellow bag)
1 can cream of chicken
Salt
Red pepper
Nature’s Seasoning
1 tsp or more Poultry Seasoning
1 small onion chopped really fine
6-8 boiled eggs
2 Tablespoon butter
1 skillet of cornbread recipe to follow


Boil the chicken in lots of water mixed with salt, pepper, and nature’s seasoning.
Remove the breast then add the following soup, poultry seasoning, butter and onion. Continue to simmer.
Save the broth to mix with dry ingredients later.
Mix the cornbread dressing bag with the fresh cornbread until all big pieces are broken.
Add chopped the eggs and shredded chicken to the dressing.



Stir in the broth until the desired consistency. I like mine soupy and slightly gummy.
Pour into a big deep dish.
Bake 350 for an hour and 10 minutes or longer.



Cornbread

2 cups Martha White Buttermilk Cornbread Mix
2 tablespoons Self-rising Flour
2 Eggs
1 ½ cups Buttermilk or a little more
Oil to cover the bottom of the skillet

Mix all dry ingredients then add the eggs and buttermilk. Pour into a cast iron skillet. Bake at 450 until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment